Sunday, August 28, 2011

Grain-Free Zucchini Lasagna

After the stress of being couped up because of Hurricane Irene this weekend, I was in the mood for some good ole' fashioned comfort food today.  Nothing says comfort food like a big tray of lasagna, right?  Of course, traditional lasagna dishes can easily be made gluten-free, simply by substituting a gluten-free noodle for the regular pasta.  However, because I strive to follow a lacto-paleo diet (no grains or sugar), I am always looking for more unconventional recipes and seeking to create grain-free alternatives to all of our favorite meals.

Well, when I stumbled upon this recipe for zucchini lasagna from the Wellness Mama's blog, I was super excited and could not wait to try it!  It was just the recipe I was looking for.  I adapted it slightly, kept it simple, and stuck with my basic Italian spices.  The end result was delicious (if I don't say so myself) and it really hit the spot.  I will definitely be making this again.  The best part was that I just felt satiated and satisfied quickly, and did not have that urge to reach for a second helping (as I would have if I were scarfing down loads of gluten-free pasta).  Who knew you could have amazingly good lasagna without the noodles?!  Enjoy!!

Grain-Free Zucchini Lasagna
  • 1 lb ground beef (organic, grass-fed)
  • 1 jar of pasta sauce (I used Field Day organic pasta sauce) or you can make your own (here is a simple marinara sauce recipe)
  • 1 large container ricotta cheese
  • 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
  • 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
  • 4 eggs
  • 2-3 medium zucchini, peeled and thinly sliced lengthwise
  • 1-2 tbsp coconut oil or butter
  • spices to taste (I used basil, oregano, garlic, sea salt, pepper)
  1. Thinly slice zucchini lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices (the thinner the better). Saute zucchini slices in saucepan with coconut oil until they are slightly browned on each side and slightly tender (not mushy!)
  2. Brown meat in a large skillet.  Add the pasta sauce to skillet to warm.
  3. In a bowl, mix ricotta cheese with eggs, parmesan, half of mozzarella cheese, and spices.  Set aside.
  4. In large 9×13 glass baking dish, start layering: meat sauce on bottom, followed by zucchini slices, then ricotta mixture.  Make sure the meat sauce layer is on the top when done. (If making the lasagna ahead, throw it in the freezer at this point, and it will be ready to bake when you need it.
  5. Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour.  About 15 minutes before it's done, sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese on top and put back in oven.

Grain-Free Zucchini Lasagna
delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment