Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Let Food By Thy Medicine- The Healing Properties of Bone Broth

I wish I could freeze time right now. Both kids are napping soundly, totally zonked out from a morning of swimming and playing. The darkening of the summer skies and the welcome break from the sunshine are perfect complements to this lazy afternoon. The raindrops on the roof beckon me to just stop and take it all in. The peace. The quiet.  Pure bliss.

In the kitchen, I've got a big stockpot of bone broth simmering.  It's going on just over 18 hours now.  I will likely let it go for another 12 hours or so until it is just right.  It smells wonderful, and the aroma has me fantasizing of crisp, fall days ahead. 

I was introduced to the miraculous healing properties of bone broth just about three years ago by my wonderful naturopath.  Bone broth (or chicken/meat/fish stock) is commonly referred to as "Jewish penicillin" because of its ability to fight colds, flu, and other immunosuppressions.  Any Jewish grandmother will tell you that chicken soup cures all.  In fact, meat and fish stocks have been used worldwide in almost every traditional cuisine from Russian to Italian to Middle Eastern.  These slow-cooked, nourishing bone broths have also been nicknamed "liquid gold" and  "the poor man's glucosamine" because of their outstanding nutritive qualities (and they are gluten-free of course!). 

But it's not just folklore that these soups can heal.  Back in the 12th century, Egyptian Jewish physician and philosopher, Moshe ben Maimonides, was recommending chicken soup to his patients for respiratory tract infections.  Fast forward to the 21st century, and now there is actual research to substantiate these health claims.  Dr. Stephen Rennard of the University of Nebraska Medical Center did a study which concluded that "chicken soup contains a number of substances with beneficial medicinal activity. A mild anti-inflammatory effect could be one mechanism by which the soup could result in the mitigation of symptomatic upper respiratory tract infections."  I guess those Jewish grandmothers were on to something afterall.

Jenny from Nourished Kitchen writes, "Homemade broth is rich in calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and other trace minerals...(which) are easily absorbed by the body.   Bone broth even contains glucosamine and chondroiton – which are thought to help mitigate the deletorious effects of arthritis and joint pain."  And that's not all.  In her book, Nourishing Traditions, Sally Fallon elaborates on the health properties of bone broth by stating that the soup is especially nutritious because of the high gelatin content from the bone, cartilage, and marrow.  "Gelatin is of great use in the treatment of many chronic disorders, including anemia and other diseases of the blood, diabetes, muscular dystrophy, bone disorders, rheumatoid arthritis, and even cancer."

Don't believe it?  Well, let me tell you my story then.  Three years ago, I was a total mess.  I mean a mess.  At age 30, I literally had the body of someone twice my age.  I was riddled with joint pain, I had lost most of my hearing, and I was showing signs of premature osteoporosis.  Did I mention that I was a MESS?!

Luckily, I decided to venture outside of the conventional medical world, and found a naturopath who was willing to help me.  She took one look at me and could see that I needed a serious nutrition intervention.  Her first order for me was to make a giant pot of bone broth and drink THREE huge glasses a day!  You can imagine that as a vegetarian for the past five years, the last thing that would appeal to me was drinking tall glasses of chicken fat!  But, I knew I needed to make a change, and I was willing to try everything to get some relief.  So after not having eaten a piece of meat in over five years, I literally went to Whole Foods that day and bought myself a big ole' pastured chicken for my soup. 

Two days later, my soup was ready, and I very reluctantly drank my first glass.  Immediately, I could feel my body being rejuvenated.  I swear I could almost hear my bones applauding and envision the cells in my body illuminating in appreciation of the nourishment.  The healing began to commence that day.  Within a week, I noticed a major reduction in my overall pain levels.  My cheeks regained their rosy color, and I started to feel more energized. 

Since then, bone broth has become a staple in our house.  I will drink it straight up, but for the kids, I like to disguise it in sauces and soups.  From time to time, I will even cook veggies or rice in the broth for extra nutrition.  It is a great, versatile, amazingly nutritious addition to just about any meal. 

I encourage you to make some of these broths and experience the healing properties for yourself.  Your body will thank you later.  Enjoy!

Bone Broth
This recipe is adapted from one in the Nourishing Traditions cookbook.  Feel free to add as many veggies as you like and season to your liking.

-one whole free-range chicken (gizzards included)
-4 quarts filtered water
-1/3 cup raw apple cider vinegar
-1 large onion, chopped
-3 carrots, peeled and chopped
-3 celery sticks, chopped
-sea salt

Place chicken in large stockpot.  Pour vinegar on top.  Then add water and veggies.  Let sit for 30 minutes.

After 30 minutes is up, bring contents to a boil.  Once boiling, scrape off any gray film that rises to the top. 

Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 18 to 36 hours (the longer, the better). 

Once soup is done, carefully remove chicken from soup (I pour the soup through a strainer into a large bowl).  Add salt to taste. 

Store in refrigerator or freezer.


Bone broth glistening, going on 30 hours

"Good broth resurrects the dead."- South American Proverb
* Shared at Food Renegade.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After cooking for that long, is the chicken still edible? Do you save it for soup/meals or toss?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kim! Thanks for your comment. Yes, even after cooking for 24+ hours, the chicken is still edible. My favorite two ways to use the leftover chicken are to shred it up and add it back to soups and to chop it up for a chicken salad. Also, if you want to enjoy the chicken before you make the broth, you could also roast the bird first. I do this from time to time now because it is more economical. I roast the bird and we will eat the chicken for dinner, and then I throw all the leftovers and the carcass in a big stockpot and make the broth that way. The broth will be darker and have a different taste if roasted first, but you will reap the nutritional benefits either way. Good luck and let me know if I can help in any other way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So how are you now after 3 years of drinking broth?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year! Well, it's actually been 7 years now since I first visited with my naturopath who recommended the bone broth. I can say that I am a completely different person. My bones are healthy and strong. I have zero joint pain, and my immune system is strong. The bone broth is a staple in our house to keep me and my family healthy. I also follow a paleo diet and exercise gently (as opposed to my over-exercising addiction past). I still struggle with adrenal fatigue from time to time because of years of poor nutrition and abuse to my body, but I now am armed with the tools to heal my body when these AF flare-ups occur.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m going to read this. I’ll be sure to come back. thanks for sharing. and also This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. this is very nice one and gives indepth information. thanks for this nice article...

    ReplyDelete