Monday, August 8, 2011

Tips for Dining Out on the Gluten-Free Diet

One of the biggest fears that people have about the gluten-free diet is that they will never be able to enjoy a meal out again.  I mean, let's face it: gluten is everywhere, right?  How are we going to avoid it when we are out at a restaurant and have no control over how the chef prepares our food?  This apprehension is justified I suppose.  However, with some careful planning and a little prior knowledge, there is absolutely no reason that you cannot enjoy a safe, gluten-free meal while dining out.

The following are some tips on how to safely dine out while on the gluten-free diet:

1) Do some research and call ahead- In the perfect world, you could research local restaurants ahead of time and find those that offer gluten-free menu items.  However, many times the restaurant will not be your choice; in which case, you need to just go with the flow.  I recommend that if possible, you call the restaurant ahead of time and speak to a manager or the chef about your gluten-free diet.  In my experience, the restaurant staff is usually more than happy to accommodate you with your special diet.  By calling ahead, you are prepared with some possible, safe menu choices, and the staff is aware of your unique needs before you arrive.

If you are local, then check out my reviews of establishments in the shore area that offer gluten-free menu options.  Check back from time to time, as I will be updating the list constantly.

2) Eat a pre-dinner snack- One of the worst mistakes you can make (and believe me I make it all the time) is to go out to eat on a totally empty stomach.  Trust me, this makes refusing the gluten-full menu options even more sadistic.  Eat a small, healthy snack before leaving or on the way (I try to always keep some nuts in my purse for snacking).  This pre-meal snack will be very helpful in alleviating the urge to make poor food decisions at the restaurant.

3) Speak up- When it's time to place your order, don't be bashful.  Do tell your server that you avoid gluten.  Ask questions about how things are cooked and prepared.  If it seems like the server is not taking your needs seriously, then you may have to throw out the big "A" word.  Even if it is not entirely true, I find nothing wrong with telling people that I am "allergic" to gluten.  In this day and age, food allergies affect nearly 1 in 25 people, and restaurants do not take food allergies lightly.  I find that in most cases when I say I have a food allergy, the server is much more willing to accommodate my special requests than if I just say that I don't eat gluten. 

Be aware that many items on the restaurant menu will contain hidden sources of gluten.  For a good list of restaurant menu terms that typically indicate gluten, click here.  Remember that while the restaurant staff will do their best to help you, the bulk of the responsibility in safely avoiding gluten falls on you.  You need to know your stuff.  If you need a refresher, you can always review the beginner's guide to the gluten-free diet.

4) Just say NO to the bread basket- This one is not always easy or appropriate to do, especially if you are dining out with a large group.  But I do have to say that nothing is more frustrating than having to sit and stare at the bread basket while you are waiting for your food, knowing that you just can't have it.  Even more annoying is watching everyone around you chow down while you sit there with your hands folded.  If it's possible, politely pass on the bread basket when it's offered and save yourself from having to stare down the unnecessary temptation.

5) Look for simple, grain-free dishes- I've said it many times before, but I'll say it again.  The easiest way to go gluten free is to just stick with meats/fish and veggies.  That being said, even if you order the filet mignon and the side of a spinach, you still cannot be sure that it is gluten-free unless you ask.  Many sauces contain flour for thickening, and almost all condiments contain hidden gluten.  If your server cannot tell you definitely that your food is prepared free of gluten, then skip it, or just ask to have your meat and veggies cooked plain (or with just butter or olive oil).  The simpler you keep your menu choice, the safer it will likely be. 

6) B.Y.O.C.- Bring Your Own Condiments, that is:)  And yes, I know this may seem a little strange by most people's standards, but I have absolutely no problem with packing my own safe, gluten-free salad dressings or condiments when I go out to eat.  You can be discreet about it (they make cute little cooler bags that look like purses and they even come in every color!).  Best part is, when you bring your own condiments, you don't have to worry about whether or not there is any gluten lurking.

So there you have it- my best tips for a safe, pleasant, gluten-free dining experience.  Good luck and enjoy!!

In health,
GFJG 



my girlfriends and I at 709 in Point Beach (they have a great gf menu!)

No comments:

Post a Comment