Monday, July 25, 2011

Devil's Food, Ocean Grove, NJ

The first time I stumbled upon this bakery, I chuckled out loud. Ocean Grove refers to itself as God's Square Mile at the Jersey Shore. Founded in 1869, it is a beautiful, quaint beach town founded as a Christian tent community. That being said, you can imagine that the name "Devil's Food" may raise a few eyebrows or elicit some smiles (depending on how you look at it).

Because I am always in search of new gluten-free options, my daughter and I decided to check it out.  Picture my elation when on the door was a sign that said "Vegan and Gluten-Free Specialties Now Available." Jackpot.

Inside, the bakery is cozy, warm and inviting. Jars of various types of flour and spices line the shelves and the menu is written by hand on chalkboards. A large devil's pitchfork hangs from the wall. The food spread is presented attractively, with mini quiches displayed on cutting boards, cupcakes and cookies laid out on pretty tiered stands, scones in large, clear jars, and then many more treats behind the glass.

The gluten-free and vegan offerings vary day-to-day, but so far we have sampled chocolate chip cookies, scones, cupcakes, macaroons, brownies, you name it, and all have been very tasty.  The baking is done on premises, and the owners encourage requests for any type of gluten-free treats. I was also thrilled to hear that they will do gluten-free birthday cakes if requested.

Another thing that I absolutely love is that the staff of Devil's Food is always smiling, courteous, and friendly. They really are. One of my favorite girls is Amy, and I had the chance to chat with her today. When asked why they began offering gluten-free and vegan specialties, she said that they realized there was a true need and demand for it among their customers, and they recognized that there were really no other bakeries around that had these special dietary offerings.  This is why I always tell people if you want to see more gluten-free choices in your local establishments, open your mouth and ask about them. If there are enough people asking, you will begin to affect the menu offerings.

As for the prices, the gluten-free items are moderate to expensive. However, as an experienced gluten-free girl, I know that this is just the norm. You are always going to pay more of a premium for special ingredients and menu items. Prices range from $2 to $3.75 for various items.

Gluten-free or not, clearly these yummy treats are not health foods and should be eaten only in moderation (thus the name Devil's Food).  But I do have to say that as a gluten-free mom, it is excellent to have a local bakery that I can run to for a quick, safe cupcake for the kids when I'm in a pinch for a birthday party. Can't put a price on that.

All in all, I really enjoy Devil's Food bakery in Ocean Grove and highly recommend it to my friends on the gluten-free diets. The store is located at 69 Main Avenue. Stop in for a sinfully delicious treat, and tell them Gluten Free Jersey Girl sent ya!

(Note: Stay tuned for a review of Devil's Food's sister restaurant, Yvonne's in Ocean Grove, that I hear offers many gluten-free dinner options!)


Devil's Food Bakery, 69 Main Avenue in Ocean Grove
 
Rachel is surveying all of the yummy, gluten-free choices




Taste-tester approved!

delicious gluten-free chocolate cupcake





No comments:

Post a Comment