Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Happy Holidays (and my apologies for being a big ole' slacker)

Happy Holidays, everyone!  I do hope that you all had a Merry Christmas and that you are enjoying this festive season with those you love.  For me personally, this has been one of the most memorable, blessed, and exciting holidays that I can remember.  Our kids are now really old enough to be basking in all the joy and magic that is Christmas, and it was an amazing time being able to experience it through their unadulterated eyes.  With Christmas now behind us, it is easy to lose sight of the abundance of blessings, but I am making a conscious effort to wake everyday with an attitude of gratitude.  We have much to be thankful for.  God has been very good to us.

Speaking of blessings, I should probably acknowledge the fact that it has been over two months since my last post.  I do apologize for this lapse in writing, but there has been a good reason for my slacking.  After a long period of job hunting, I went back to work suddenly in mid-October.  I mean suddenly, as in less than 48 hours' notice suddenly.  The job offer was very abrupt and unexpected, but I knew that this was not an opportunity I should be passing by.  Without hesitation, I graciously accepted.  While it has not been easy on us as a family making such a sudden transition, I am really thrilled to be back in the classroom again, doing what I love.  I am very thankful for the answered prayer.

That being said, it has been a tremendous personal adjustment, and it has taken some time for me really to get my groove back.  The time that I would have previously devoted to reading, studying, and writing has been replaced by lesson planning and grading essays.  As any working mom will tell you, there are NEVER enough hours in the day.  I have felt guilty about not staying on top of this blog, but something really did have to give.  Now that I have gotten into a good routine and have a better handle on my new responsibilities, I promise to devote more time to this blog, and I commit to writing at least a few posts every month.

Believe it or not, being back in the classroom has made me even more keenly aware of how important a blog like this can be for people.  My students know that I am gluten-free, and it has elicited some interesting conversations about nutrition. We have even incorporated nutrition lessons into some of our persuasive writing.  In addition, over lunch, the gluten-free diet has naturally come up in conversation with my colleagues, and it has been really wonderful sharing some of my knowledge with them. 

On the last day of school before our holiday break, a student approached me with a question about the gluten-free diet.  He said his mother was gluten-free as well.  I quickly passed along my blog info to the boy so he could share it with his mother.  It feels awesome to be able to share my experience and knowledge with others and help them a little in their journey,  as I remember how immensely overwhelmed I was in the beginning.  It is my hope and desire that this blog can serve as a valuable resource to people out there who are new to living gluten freely.  Or that maybe- just maybe- it will sway someone to give the gluten-free diet a try and see what it can do for her health.

Stay tuned for more great recipes, reviews, and articles!

Best wishes for a happy, healthy, and prosperous 2012,
GFJG

my loves with their baby cousin on Christmas Eve- the greatest gifts!
 doing my gluten-free baking for Christmas
some of my favorite gifts this year- local, raw honey and cookbooks
Santa brought gf cookbooks- yay!


No comments:

Post a Comment